100 Years in Bradenton
It all started when…
a preacher and church organizer named Rev. W. B. Young moved to Bradenton from Kentucky. Realizing there were other Disciples of Christ members in the area, he assisted a group of approximately 20 people into organizing our congregation.
The new church was chartered “Central Church of Christ” on September 7, 1919
In 1920 the name was changed to “Central Christian Church” to more readily identify it as a Disciples congregation. Rev. Young left and the church was struggling financially. They decided to sell the home and conducted services in the basement of the Carnegie Library.
In 1922 under new leadership of Rev. O. E. Seeburg, two lots were purchased on 4th Ave. near 8th Street.
In 1924, Central Christian called its first salaried pastor, Rev. Charles E. Powell. Under Rev. Powell they outgrew their space and began conducting services at the Bradenton Women’s Club.
In 136 a two-story home was purchased at 926 15th ST West. It was refurbished into a worship space and classrooms under the leadership of Rev. N. W. Jessup.
In 1939 the church called its first full-time pastor, Rev. J. W. Shelburn.